5 Reasons To Protect Yourself From The Flu
Get A Flu Shot!
Getting a flu shot is the best way to protect yourself from getting the flu.
1. Protect Those Around you – Those with chronic illnesses, the very young and old, can become severely ill (and possibly die of complications) as a result of being exposed to the flu.
2. Protect Your Hard Earned Days Off – These days, circulating flu viruses are much stronger than in the past, often lingering for 7-10 days before you are able to return to normal daily activities! Don’t waste that time in bed – protect yourself instead!
3. Keep it To Yourself – Although you may have the best intentions, if you do not protect yourself with a flu shot, you risk infecting others. People exposed to the flu are contagious 1-day prior to feeling symptoms and 5-7 days after becoming ill.
4. Limit Exposure – Wash hands frequently; cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing; avoid touching mouth, nose, and eyes, do not go to work, do not share utensils or bottles…; avoid close contact, and launder bedding.
5. Seek Early Care –If you choose not to get a flu shot and feel an illness coming on, get to your doctor or Urgent Care Clinic within the first 24-48 hours. Tamiflu (anti-viral medication), if started early can be helpful in reducing length and severity of the virus.